Needing Medical Care in a Foreign Country Can Be Traumatic
Medical history and a list of medicines is crucial to receiving proper care when you are traveling in foreign places. Store it on a flash drive or print a hard copy. There are also sites that allow you to store your information which can be accessed from any computer. This will ensure that your healthcare provider knows your history, any allergies, previous surgeries and medications that you are taking. Business people who travel frequently should also have this information with them.
In addition, it is wise to purchase health insurance when traveling or check with your insurance policy to see if you would be covered if something happened while you are traveling and out of your normal provider area.
Basics of Your Health Record
Your Private Medical History should include the following:
- Names and contact info for your healthcare providers
- Insurance company policy numbers and contact info
- Emergency Contacts
- Previous surgeries
- lab test results
- List of medications you are currently taking
- Advance Directive or Living Will
- Healthcare Power of Attorney information
- Current Diagnosis
St. Louis Resources for Older Adults
St. Louis Resources for Older Adultsis a compilation of interviews taken from the Caring for Parents Together Talk Show. This DVD helps you to understand resources in the St. Louis community from the lips of those who serve those agencies. You will learn in a practical and economical way some of the services and resources available to older adults in our community.
- The Area Agencies on Aging
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Red Cross
- Society of the Blind & Visually Impaired
- The Center for Hearing & Speech
- Hospice services
- Nursing home advocacy through the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program
- Memory Care Home Solutions
- Lutheran Senior Services
- Catholic Charities
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Services available through OASIS
- Parish Nurse Program
- Veterans Aid & Attendance Benefits
- Diabetes Association
- Arthritis Association
Now you have the peace of mind of knowing what you can receive from these agencies before you visit. You will be able to save time by identifying what you need first and you will save money by having the right agency from the start.